New hope for El Salvadorians: journalist Mauricio Funes leads former guerrilla army FMLN to the Left´s first presidential victory in country´s history. This has been a long time coming. Reagan backed right wing death squads murdered 80,000 in early 1980’s to stop democracy in El Salvador. But more than 20 years later of corruption, violence and fraud the people of El Salvador have finally had their voices heard. Congratulations for this major victory in the struggle. But we should add a word of caution: does the Left still have the same ideals and the same commitment to implement them? Only time will tell.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Leftwinger wins El Salvador presidency (guardian.co.uk)
- Former rebels in El Salvador hope to win power 17 years after civil war (cbc.ca)
- History is Written in El Salvador (mydd.com)
- Roll Over Reagan: FMLN Elected In Salvador (marccooper.com)
- Mike Farrell: El Salvador: Same Old, Same Old? (huffingtonpost.com)